Tuesday, March 3, 2009

More fertilizers

Earlier I told you about using 9-45-15 fertilizer. You use it for when the starts are in the plugs and it helps grow roots. The next fertilizer I use is 13-2-13. Since my plugs size is small (162 plugs per flat), I don't use the 13-2-13 on my plugs. Instead I use the fertilizer only the week after I move the starts into 4 inch pots. The person that is helping me says if I had bigger plug size, I would use the 13-2-13 on the plugs once there was a generous amount of roots.

After the week of using 13-2-13, I will start using two new fertilizers that I use alternating weeks. I chose to start with 20-10-20. I will use it every watering (not necessarily everyday), then the next week, I will use 17-0-17. I guess the combination of these two fertilizers helps me not need to use growth regulators, and reduces stretching of the seedlings. (Too much phosporus after a certain point can cause the plants to stretch too much. Especially on hot days if I understand right.).

For my Wave petunias, I may need to use additional light but I haven't figured out how I will accomplish that yet. I do have lights in the greenhouse but they are not necessarily growing lights, and they are way high up. So I need to ask more questions about lighting.

I need to take some pictures of my new watering wand too. It is amazing! I bought a watering head which was called 1000PL Dramm Redhead Ultra. A lot of water comes out but it does it soft enough that you can water seedlings. The trick is to turn the wand upside down instead of using it normally. Makes the water fall a lot more softly. I was taught this because at first I did not like the watering head because it put out too much water too fast. I will definitely take a picture of this when I have my camera tomorrow.

As long as my husband is feeling well enough (he has had the flu), we will transplant more starts tomorrow. I can't wait!

I think I have more seeds planted than I have room in the greenhouse! But I will deal with that problem later :) I can't stop planting! Actually I think I planted my last seeds finally yesterday.

More pictures in the next few days hopefully!

No comments:

Post a Comment