Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Growing Flowers from Seed

I've grown flowers from seed in the greenhouse the last 3 years and loved it! This year I am filling the greenhouse full and will sell them. I thought I would blog about the whole process-from seed to final flower.

Here are some pictures so far. I started planting the seeds at the middle/end of January. At this point most of the seedlings have popped up.

Here I am filling up the plug trays. I chose to use the size that have 162 holes per tray. Next year I may decide to use a tray with a larger plug size but we will see how it works out with this size this year. I only have 2 heating beds so I can't have too big of plugs or I won't be able to fit all my trays on the heat.


Filling the plug trays with potting soil. To be safe, I disinfected everything that would come into contact with the potting soil- tray, table, scoop, etc.

I "hired" my husband to be the seeder. He has patience with tedious things!

I decided to use this GroMor Seeder this year. The last few years I have just seeded with my fingers but I would waste a lot of seeds because more than one seed would fall at a time. This vacuum seeder worked well for us. He is planting marigold seeds in this picture which was actually the biggest size seeds we planted. The seeder worked great for the tiny seeds.
Some seeds need to be covered and other seeds it is important to leave them on top of the potting soil mix because light aids in their germination.

No comments:

Post a Comment